A computer security incident is any attempted or successful unauthorized access, disclosure, or misuse of computing systems, data or networks, including hacking and theft.
If you think your computer has been compromised, and you have restricted data such as Social Security Numbers or Personal Health Information, report it immediately.
- If it is still in your possession, remove the computing system from the campus network.
- Do not turn the system off / shut it down.
- Do not run anti-virus, anti-spyware, or other “cleaning” tools.
- Campus: Contact the OIT Service Desk at 209-228-HELP(4357) to report that a potential data breach has occurred and request immediate notification of the OIT Security Team. Send detailed information to security firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stolen Computer, Laptop, Phone, Tablet, or other Device
- File a report with the UC Merced Police Department.
- If you a university employee, report it to your supervisor or school administration.
- If you have University restricted data, immediately follow the data breach process above.
If you think your UCMnetID password has been stolen, or your account has been inappropriately accessed:
- Immediately reset your password.
- Notify the OIT Security Team by emailing email@example.com or contact the OIT Service Desk at 209-228-HELP(4357) and request the Data Security team.
- If you are a University employee, also notify your supervisor.
- If appropriate, file a report with the UC Merced Police Department.
Reporting Spam and Phishing
Spam and phishing complaints can be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org for reporting and analysis.