Now in its 17th year, National Cybersecurity Awareness Month is back this October. The theme for 2020 is ‘Do Your Part. #BeCyberSmart’, helping to empower individuals and organizations to own their role in protecting their part of cyberspace. With COVID-19 still a real issue facing most of us, NCSAM has gone 100% virtual this year! Everything can be enjoyed from the comfort of your home, either through ZOOM or through one of the many browsers out there with no masks required! This year we have a TON of great content from all over the UC system, so we encourage you to attend all the events we have planned!
Women in Cyber Security Panel - Hosted by UC Merced
This year, the highlight of our NCSAM will be our "Women in Cybersecurity" panel moderated by our AVC and CIO, Ann Kovalchick. Panelists will give their own unique perspectives on the triumphs and challenges that women face in the world of cybersecurity and will feature a Q&A session at the end to answer your questions. Register as soon as you can!
• Sureyya Tuncel, Information Security Analyst UC Riverside
• Trinh Ngo, Senior Manager IT Compliance Blue Shield of California
• Kathleen Bodi, Information Security Analyst UC Merced
• Ann Kovalchick, Associate Vice Chancellor and Chief Information Officer at University of California, Merced.
Date: October 20th, 12:00pm - 1:00pm
Registration link - Click here to register for the Women in Cybersecurity event!
There are also wonderful events happening all around the UC! Starting on October 1st, you can find informative and exciting events on topics ranging from Zoom security, emerging threats, cybersecurity for families, even cybersecurity games and tips on how to secure Box! There will be comedy events, a cybersecurity thriller, and more - there is guaranteed to be something for everyone! You can check out the full list of events on the UCOP National Cybersecurity Awareness Month website by clicking on the link below!
Here are just some of the amazing events you can look forward to!
True Eye - Cinema Event - All Month!
True Eye is a thriller which follows new-hire, Adrian Bridges, through his first day at a global AI-technology firm. Adrian’s policy orientation and security training quickly spin into suspense and intrigue as his personal AI device, Guide, starts asking him to do unethical and even dangerous things with sensitive data. His adventure offers a glimpse into proper operational security, how technology affects people and what we can do about it.
Zoom Security and New Features!
October 7th 10:00am - 11:00am
This event hosted by UCSB will focus on the new and emerging features with Zoom and the steps you can take to increase your security with your Zoom meetings! Registration is free, but required for this event as we expect it to fill up quickly!
UC Merced OIT Information Security has redesigned our webpages in order to offer more cybersecurity education and awareness for faculty, staff, and students as of October 2019. Some of our important new features include:
- An overview of the 2019/2020 UC Merced self-phishing campaign, along with regularly updated reporting on the campaign
- Phishing Email Alerts archive to assist users in identifying ongoing phishing attacks affecting our campus
- Announcements and overviews of upcoming cybersecurity awareness campaigns
- Information Security in the News— providing relevant news to keep our users better informed
- Alerts and Impacts—reporting and analysis on user privacy and cybersecurity issues