- Technology-Enabled Active Learning (TEAL) is a teaching format that merges facilitated discussions, simulations, and hands-on desktop experiments to create a rich collaborative learning experince
- UC Merced boasts 4 TEAL labs: two 35-seat labds and two 90-seat labs.
- These rooms offer a different learning enviroment from other instructional spaces on campus through design, layout, technology, and choices available to the instructor.
HOW IS TEAL DIFFERENT?
- Room and AV design focused on collaborative and applied learning tasks
- There isno front or back of the room; large rectangulat 9-student work tables are placed along the outside walls
- Each station has conectivity for laptiops, tablets, and document cameras
- Layout allows small group work on course curriculum, compregension, and problem solving
- Instructors can have the class focus on one group's work, or transfer focus between groups
TEAL rooms are classrooms made to promote active learning using technology and space design
The TEAL Lab is assigned for instruction only and sicne it is not a standard classroom, there is a TEAL Lab Policy which outlines the criteria for instructional use and priority assignment.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW ABOUT THE TEAL LAB?
Instructiors using TEAL Labs are required to conduct assesment/research related to the effectiveness of the environment in enhancing active learning and student success. For more information and design assitance, please contact Associate Director Cathy Pohan at firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT RESOURCES ARE AVAILABLE FOR INSTRUCTORS TO LEARN ABOUT TEAL?
- Tours of the TEAL Lab can be arranged by emailing Academic and Emerging Technology at AET@ucmerced.edu
- TEAL-specific course design training and workshops are held every semester
- Basic TEAL Lab technology assistance can be scheduled through our consult schedule service: http://ucm.edu/v/AETConsults.
HOW CAN FACULTY REQUEST TO HAVE A COURSE ASSIGNED TO THE TEAL LAB?
The TEAL Lab is assigned for instruction only and since it is not a standard classroom, there is a TEAL Lab Policy which outlines the criteria for instructional use and priority assignment. An application must be submitted to request use of the TEAL Lab. Applications for single or periodic use throughout the term can be submitted HERE.