HOW IS TEAL DIFFERENT?
- Room and AV design focused on collaborative and applied learning tasks
- There is no front or back of the room; large rectangular 9-student work tables are placed along the outside walls
- Each station has connectivity for laptops or tablets as well as document cameras
- Layout allows smaller groups of students to work together on course curriculum and help each other through comprehension and problem solving
- Instructors can easily have the entire class focus on one group’s work, or transfer focus between groups
HOW CAN FACULTY REQUEST TO HAVE A COURSE ASSIGNED TO THE TEAL LAB?
The TEAL Lab is assigned for instruction only and since it is not a standard classroom, there is a TEAL Lab Policy which outlines the criteria for instructional use and priority assignment. An application must be submitted to request use of the TEAL Lab. Applications for single or periodic use throughout the term can be submitted HERE.
WHAT RESOURCES ARE AVAILABLE FOR INSTRUCTORS TO LEARN ABOUT TEAL?
- Tours of the TEAL Lab can be arranged by emailing Academic and Emerging Technology at AET@ucmerced.edu
- TEAL-specific course design training and workshops provided through the Center for Engaged Teaching and Learning (CETL) together with AET are held every semester
- Basic TEAL Lab technology assistance can be scheduled through our consult schedule service: http://ucm.edu/v/AETConsults.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW ABOUT THE TEAL LAB?
Instructors using TEAL Labs are required to conduct assessment/research related to the effectiveness of the environment in enhancing active learning and student success. For more information and design assistance, please contact Associate Director Cathy Pohan at email@example.com.