As we return for the Fall 2021 semester, we are all preparing to conduct teaching and learning while still keeping COVID-19 concerns at the top of our minds. In alignment with university policy and campus needs, adjustments to classroom technology have been made to support teaching and learning while still taking precautions. As the landscape is uncertain and ever-changing, Academic and Emerging Technology (AET) staff will also update this page regularly as guidance and policy changes.
Last Updated: September 1st, 2021 at 5 pm.
Recommendations for Faculty
- Schedule a Classroom Consult! Get a one-on-one session with AET staff to help you setup, practice, and answer any questions you may have.
- Engage with the Teaching Commons. Here you will find workshops and resources that help you to combine research-backed pedagogy with academic technology.
- Understand COVID-19 policies & guidance. The campus one-stop shop for updates, policies, and resources on COVID-19 mitigation at UC Merced.
- Quick question? Feel free to reach out via our online chat, found in the lower-left hand corner of this page, or call us at: 209-228-4357.
- Need support during your classes? Call us at 209-228-4357 and press 1. Our technicians are on-call during scheduled classes.
- Looking for a consultation on any and all academic technology? Visit our AET Consultations page and sign up for a time that works for you.
- Want to know OIT locations and hours? Visit Locations and Hours in our new Service Hub.
- Want to submit a ticket, see your past tickets, request new services, and look up how-to guides? Visit out Service Hub and begin typing your topic to browse all of our resources!
- Campus COVID-19-related updates and information are available on the Do Your Part website.
- Understand AET's Classroom & Conference Room support strategy.
What equipment is cleaned and how often is it cleaned?
Can I clean equipment?
How are classrooms cleaned?
Where are microphones available?
What types of microphones are available in classrooms?
AET is not able to deploy the normal over-the-ear and handheld microphones as they cannot be sanitized and sit close to the face. Podium mounted boom microphones are available for all spaces that traditionally had in-room microphones (see previous question). CatchBoxes are also not available at this time. Other accommodations may be available to instructors with unique needs but are limited due to sanitization requirements, staffing availability, and technological restrictions. Instructors can submit an OIT General Request to discuss needs and understand available options.
Can students in my class use microphones?
How do I use the podium boom mics?
What rooms have Zoom integrated into the audiovisual technology?
What are my options if my classroom does not have Zoom integration?
Can I use classroom technology to deliver my course remotely to students?
The UC Merced Academic Senate has provided guidance and policy around where it is and is not appropriate to use technoloy to facilitate remote instruction, as in-person instruction is the default modality for Fall 2021. OIT can assist with technology where it is available or provide recommendations when accommodations are needed in accordance with these policies. They are provided below for your convenience: